Biennial Philadelphia Harp Competition
Time & Location
About The Event
The Philadelphia Chapter of the American Harp Society is sponsoring a student competition to be held on April 17th, 2021.
- This competition will be held virtually beginning at 9am on April 17th. Participants will be emailed the Zoom link and password prior to the competition with a specific time they will play.
- Participants are required to attend a sound check on Saturday, April 3rd (time TBD) to ensure their Zoom microphone is properly configured.
- First and second place winners will perform in a virtual recital the following day, Sunday, April 18th, at 2pm.
Students may compete in one of four categories based on their age and type of harp. Levels I and II may be played on either a lever or a pedal harp. Levels III and IV must be played on a pedal harp. Harpists must be 10 or under for Level I, 14 or under for Level II, 17 or under for Level III, and 19 and under for Level IV. Harpists may compete in only one division. Harpists may not be in a college program. Students must play all the pieces listed for their division. All music must be performed from memory. The competition reserves the right to eliminate a division if not enough entries are received. Previous first place winners may not compete in the same division.
Both the harpist and the harpist’s teacher must be members of the Philadelphia Chapter of the American Harp Society to enter the competition. Both student and teacher must join by March 17, 2021, to be eligible for the competition.
To enter, send a completed entry form and the entry fee of $40 to the following address by March 17, 2021. Applications may be filled out online or printed and mailed to the address below:
640 N. Broad St. #435
Philadelphia PA 19130
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.phillyharp.org with any questions.
All music can be purchased at the Virginia Harp Center in Haddonfield, NJ.
All music must be performed by memory.
LEVEL I: BEGINNER (Age 10 and under)
● #9 from Marelles Volume 2 by Andres
● El Numero Uno from First-Grade Pieces for Harp by Grandjany
LEVEL II: LATER BEGINNER/EARLY INTERMEDIATE (Age 14 and under)
● Processional from Harp Solos Volume Two by McDonald and Wood
● Reveriefrom Nightfall Suite by Curcio
LEVEL III: INTERMEDIATE (Age 17 and under)
● Pavane by Unknown, arr. Salzedo
● Sonate en Re by Albeniz arr. Mildonian
LEVEL IV: ADVANCED (Age 19 and under)
● Theme and Variations by Haydn arr. Salzedo, available in the Carlos Salzedo Collection for Harp
● La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin by Debussy, arr. Salzedo
Please e-mail email@example.com with any questions.
Paper application form can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hp-PRcvtYD72dVGyd-M8fUJtY5RPVGYD/view?usp=sharing
- Entry Fee for Harp Competition$40$400$0